Friday, August 17, 2012

Training day 12

6:28 AM

Oh wow, it's getting harder and harder to wake myself up in the mornings, despite my attempts to go to sleep before 10:00. Maybe tonight, I'll try and sleep after the 8:30 relieve. I'm getting to the point where I'm getting a little stir-crazy--a bit restless, and like I want to go home, only I know that there's more work I want to do with Arden. Speaking of Arden, I have a confession to make. He got up on the bed yesterday because someone called him up onto it, and that same person snuggled with him for about twenty minutes before sending him back down. I asked her what on earth she was thinking, and her response was simply that she couldn't help it. What lack of discipline, eh?
So as I mentioned yesterday, we're heading into the big city this morning--which city that is exactly referring to I'm not sure (I'm assuming Sanfransisco is a possibility), but our instructor said she doesn't want to thrust us into the heart of downtown just yet, which sounds just fine by me.

2:50 Pm
So as planned, we headed into sanfransisco this morning. Rather than charging into the midst of its downtown core, we worked a nice route on Chestnut street (for those of you who know the area). I know the name "Chestnut street" likely evokes an image of a quiet, tree-lined street with sprawling lawns and laughing children, but it's actually a fairly busy street with heavy traffic and lots of businesses. Arden was a bit distracted this morning, as in he was looking around a fair bit. having said that, he didn't really let it interfere with his guiding. we walked a little too close when following people sometimes, and we had to rework a clearance or two, but I was overall impressed. I do want to do some more work in the big city though, just to get him used to pedestrian and traffic-heavy settings. He also did a neat little traffic check for me when a car (very rudely) turned in front of us before we could approach our upcurb.
We also had a chance to ride the city bus. The buses here are weird, in that the seating immediately close to the front isn't hollow underneath so as to easily tuck the dog under. In Ontario, most of the buses are designed so that the front of the bus has seats that are not only hollow underneath, but they can lift up as well so as to let a person with a stroller or wheelchair park themselves out of the isle. Still, my dog sat all tall and regal between my knees, and the sun streaming through the windows kept gleaming on his shiny yellow coat.
"That's a nice dog you've got there," a guy across the isle remarked, "so clean." (so clean?)
"Thanks." I replied.
"How much does that dog cost, anyway?" He went on. I always think that's such a weird question, a) because they're not exactly for purchase; and b) it's very difficult to quantify their worth.
"Well, they're quite priceless, I think." I said.
"What do you mean?" He asked, surprised.
I just didn't answer, but that wasn't going to stop him.
"So clean! just so clean!" I just smiled and nodded.
"So, are you the trainer?" he asked me.
"No, I'm the handler." I answered.
"The what?"
"Like, it's my dog. I work with him."
"Oh, so you're not a trainer?"
"Nope, I actually use him."
"But you're not blind!" he sputtered.
"I actually am. She's the trainer." I turned towards my instructor, who sat next to me, amused.
"Oh, I'm so sorry!" he exclaimed.
"It's ok," I answered, "It's not your fault."
"So clean!" he exclaimed again, as he headed off the bus. I'm not really sure if he was expecting to see a dog coated in manure and dirt on the bus, but the comment was kind of strange. Ah well, he was pretty well-intended, I suppose. It could have been much worse. And it was entertaining, which is always a plus.

After having lunch at the lounge, our small group headed over to McInnis Park, which had a very nice gravel walking path in it. Arden and I took off, and found ourselves yards and yards ahead of the group. We walked along the trail, keeping along the right hand side so as to let people pass on the left, though we didn't pass anyone. As we walked, all I could hear were the sounds of our feet on gravel, his quiet panting, and a bubbling stream next to us. There were no obstacles; no traffic decisions to make; no directions to remember. I straightened my back and lifted my face to the wind, and we soaked up the sun and just walked. Our pace and rhythm was perfect, and I want so much to commit that moment to memory. It was one of those times when you think to yourself "this. This is why I got a guide dog." Walking with him is the closest I'll ever come to being sighted, and it's perfect. As we walked, I could hear small animals skittering about in the bushes and in the branches. Because my dog has some golden in him, these things are often of at least passing interest to him, but he remained focused and alert, not even sniffing any of the grass or bushes that lined the trail. he even guided me over to a bench! My two classmates and I ended up sitting there and chatting with our instructor for a bit, took a few pictures, and headed back. Now I'm sitting in my air-conditioned room and Arden and I are cooling off. This afternoon was just so perfect-probably the most fun and relaxing afternoon I've had since coming here. I can't tell you how much anxiety I have when I know there are expectations of me--but this afternoon there were none, and it was indeed a walk to remember.

3:51 Pm

Wow, that was intense. so remember the canvas crate I bought for Arden? My instructor offered to come and help me learn how to set it up, and also how to take it down. Setting it up was a breeze; the poles snapped nicely into place, and in the blink of an eye (and with a bit of grunting), the crate was up and functional in no time. we stood back and admired our work.
"I think I want one for my dog!" she exclaimed.
"I know, isn't it great?" I ran my hands over it, admiring it too.
"Let's try to take it down now."
And that's when the trouble began. For some reason, it just wouldn't fold up as nicely--the one side of it just refused to lie down nicely into the other side. We couldn't figure out why it kept getting stuck. A few minutes later, we were both sweating and panting, trying to gently jam poles this way and that way, muttering and grumbling. All of a sudden, it collapsed nicely into its perfectly folded formation.
"How did that even happen!" we both shouted. We righted the crate again, and took it down again, one step at a time. We finally figured out that the hinges that connected the two poles had to be pressed right back into the corners (I know this sounds needlessly complicated and detailed, I'm sorry), and it finally worked. It's wonderful!
after that, we headed to the exercise room here, so that Arden could practise his down-stay while I worked out on a bike. At the gym I go to, there isn't always a place to tie the dog up while I'm working out, and although I make sure that I'm very close to the dog, I can't always have him tied right next to me. So we had him lay down nicely, clicking his really good downstays. and he did really well as I panted and sweated up yet another storm on the bike.

7:04 Pm
I just got back from a lecture on GDB's veterinary financial assistance program. It's designed to help GDB graduates with vet care that they might not be able to afford. The priority is always the dog's health and well-being, and GDB does not want to see any dog go without treatments or health maintenance simply because the handler doesn't have the funds to afford it. I think it's really quite remarkable that a not-for-profit organization is reaching out to its graduates in that capacity; it really seems unrivalled, and is such an honourable commitment to make. One of the great things about the program is that the graduate chooses how much help he or she needs from GDB. So if you need to swing by the vet to pick up some stomach medication and you know you can afford it, you can just pay for it yourself and not have GDB reimburse you. I admit I was afraid that people would readily take advantage of the reimbursement program, but was impressed at how much of the vet costs a lot of people absorb themselves. People only seem to use it when they really need it, which likewise reflects really well on GDB's grads. I'm really relieved to know that my dog will be taken care of regardless of how poor I am!
I plan on going to bed after the 8:30 relieve tonight, so I'm going to close for now. Tomorrow, we're going to go into a city called San Anselmo (sp?) to do a route that involves a lot of obstacles. I'm actually really looking forward to it, because nothing feels more awesome than your dog swerving you around something!
Goodnight, everyone. And thanks again for reading. I likely wouldn't write otherwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment