Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dear puppy raiser

How do you begin to thank the first pair of hands, the first committed heart, the first loving arms that ultimately began your dog's journey to you? how do you even begin to thank the people who made the ultimate sacrifice that can be asked of anyone on this earth: to enter into a relationship where the end has already been built in? knowing that the culmination of all your love, all your efforts, all your energy will ultimately lead to your loved one being taken from you? we spend so much of our lives in fear: fear of the unknown, of losing the people we love, of not being successful. We are taught to trust cautiously, for we don't know who or what lurks around each corner, what motives they have, what intent they might have. And in some ways, this keeps us safe. But does it not also lead to our overlooking some of the most generous and compassionate hearts this world has to offer? I don't really know how you did it: loving him through his accidents in the house; not really batting an eyelash when your favourite pair of shoes or a family airloom ended up in a chewed mess on the floor. How you took him to work, to school, all while he was in those delicate stages of puppyhood: tentatively sniffing his way around this insane, crazy world, and trying to figure out why he couldn't do all the same things all these two-legged creatures could do. And you taught him: not only to sit, potty outside, and not to bark down the neighborhood--you taught him trust, and kindness, and love and unconditional acceptance. And I want you to know that wherever Arden goes in this world, I will forever see you in him. When he lovingly leans his big yellow head into my lap, or rolls around with me on the floor and covering me with yellow fur, there you are. When he obediently watches my every move, and looks up adoringly, there you are. My dog will never be without the people who first taught him love and safety, because he had to get those things from somewhere, someone. And so with every step I take, and every beat of his endless heart, there you'll be. You are inextricably linked to us now, and every time Arden swerves me around an obstacle; every time he disobeys my forward command in order to save my life, you will have been part of the reason why. Every successful being has had someone rooting for his or her success, and you have been the root of Arden's success. Thank you for being the first hands and heart that loved my angel dog. I am honoured to be connected to you in this way, and know that as long as there continue to be people like you around, there is more good than bad in this world. so, from the bottom of my and Arden's hearts, and with many hugs and wags, we thank you. You will move forward with us always.


2 comments: