Wednesday, August 08, 2012

First walk in harness!

4:09 Pm
Thanks to those of you who offered to help me post pictures of my mellow yellow fellow to the blog. I have two puppy raisers on it at the moment, so hopefully they'll be up soon! :). I'd really like to thank all of you who are reading my blog for following. Training with the dog is indeed very exciting, but knowing that I'm writing for people who are actually reading gives it so much more purpose.
So, Arden and I just got back from our first walk in harness. And it was perfection personified (except that walks aren't people so maybe that doesn't work). Anyway, just perfect. stopped at curbs, held his head high and confident when we walked, had the right amount of pull in the harness, and was not easily distracted. There weren't many things out in the way of distractions, granted, but I really got the sense that he was focused. I don't really know how else to describe it other than magical. Arden's so majestic and proud. he'd stop at the curb, I'd throw a party (after doing my three Ps of course!), and he'd hold his head up and be like "what is wrong with you, you silly maniac? I'm just doing what they told me to do." I do this funny thing with the harness handle where I bend and tense the crook of my arm, and this seems to happen regardless of how slowly or quickly the dog is moving. I'd like to actually walk with my arm relaxed, but it seems as though as soon as I relax my arm, the pull in the harness handle automatically weakens. My instructor noticed my tensed arm and commented on it, and so we're going to do some experimenting over the next little while. I might also mention it to the class supervisor to see if he has any perspective. I'm sure I can't be the first person this has happened to!
Anyway, I gave Arden some water when we got back, because it's hotter than hell out there. he's just resting on his matt now, not making a peep. He's such royalty! next up, we're going to be getting the dog's grooming equipment and toys. after that, we feed, water, and relieve. I've been good at getting him to pee, but he doesn't seem to want to poo just yet. You know you're a guide dog handler when pooing is cause for celebration!

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's the four "P"s now. Positioin, Probe, Praise, and Party!

    ReplyDelete