Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pre-grad update

8:51 AM
I'm updating the actual blog every time I write a segment today, because after dog day, this is probably the most momentous day I'll have here at GDB.
This morning at breakfast, the excitement in the room was contagious. even all the dogs were more riled up than usual, and when one dog would begin to scramble or make out with another dog, they all perked up and wanted to join in the fun. We didn't really stop the frolicking, because we had our own excitement and nervous to contend with. Nervousness, you ask? How could you be nervous.
Well, it didn't occur to me until one of my classmates brought it up last night, but she made a really good point. Neither of us had ever done a graduation ceremony where the puppy raiser hands you the leash "in public" on stage. So, as she articulated last night, "What if the puppy raiser goes to hand you the leash, and your dog doesn't want to go with you?" and like a bullet from a high-powered rifle, my mind was off. I instantly envisioned teetering up to the stage on the arm of one of my instructors, heart beating so loud that the microphone would pick it up. Then, with tears in her eyes, the puppy raiser would hand me the leash, effectively "relinquishing" Arden to me. I'd smile, all teary-eyed myself, and give the leash a gentle tug to remind Arden that he should be at my side. But he'd stay facing her, all four paws firmly planted on the ground. My heart would skip a beat, and I'd give the leash a bit of a stronger tug, whispering his name and wondering if I had treats somewhere to coax him with. An instructor would finally have to intervene to rescue the situation from even more epic embarrassment, and my puppy raiser would feel equal parts happiness and sadness, and so would I, I suppose. And then Arden would finally, grudgingly heel at my side, his head still cranked in her direction. Ugh ugh ugh. Don't get me wrong; I can't wait to see how delighted Arden'll be when he sees his raisers. I want him to be over the moon to see them, because my hope is that one day, that's what his attachment to me will be like. But I also do want him to sort of perhaps maybe come back to me for the sake of a public event, you know what I mean? I'm totally cool with him going nuts and hanging out with her all day even, but I'm so scared he'll take one look at me and be like "f you, biatch! I'm finally home again! Unlike you, she's a real "dog person!"" and I'll be all crestfallen and then we'll all awkwardly apologize to one another and reassure everyone that Arden still loves them. Oh Arden, what a wanted man you are!
Confession number 2: As I type this segment, he is lying next to me...on the bed. That is all.


2 comments:

  1. First, I love your blog! Second, I've never seen that happen at a graduation. The miracle of graduation, and when tears start smarting my eyes, is when the leash is handed to you and the dog knows his place is by your side. Often the trainer, the puppy raiser and handler are on stage at the same time and the dog obviously loves you all - but it will be you the dog wants to be beside. Good luck to you and Arden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha, and thanks for your comment! I'm so glad you've read my blog! :).

    Graduation went amazingly well, and Arden and I had so much fun. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete